A new council and a new way of working.

Community well being is a vague term for a really important thing - do you like living where you do? Over the months, the Town Council will be paying attention to a lot of things that will improve the life of the community but to do that, we need your help. Let us know what matters and what we can do to help.

The County Council is also interested in your views. Click here to take part in their community safety survey. Even if you think everything is perfect, they still need to know.    


Essex County Council bus service consultation

Residents are being urged to share their views on the future of 162 local bus services across Essex. A new consultation will explore how to make the bus network fit for the future.

Residents can share their views online until Thursday 5 October. Physical copies of the consultation are available by contacting the Passenger Transport team via email or calling 0345 743 0430.

A small number of bus services in Essex are subsidised by us as commercial bus operators will not run them. The consultation is about these non-commercial services, which generally run in rural areas and at less busy times.

Since the pandemic, the amount of people using buses has declined. We need to ensure future routes are viable financially and are meeting the new demand. It will also look at how to ensure it provides value for money for taxpayers.

As part of the consultation, 162 services across three groups are being consulted on:

  • the vast majority where no change is proposed until at least 2028
  • a group which will be supported until at least 2026, but where passenger numbers need to increase
  • a low use group which are not currently meeting the needs of communities

 Find out more and take part in the consultation

Anti Social Behaviour

As a Town Council we care deeply about our community and its well-being, and it is important for our residents to feel safe. This article is here to give you information and links to both Epping Forest District Council and Essex Police with regards to anti-social behaviour.  

If you are experiencing, or have experienced Anti-Social Behaviour, then please seek advice about reporting and help from Epping Forest District Council by clicking here:

Anti-social behaviour has been defined as "acting in a manner that caused, or was likely to cause, harassment, alarm, or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as the defendant." This guidance gives communities the advice and contact details for reporting a variety of antisocial behaviour activities such as 


  • Nuisance neighbours
  • Rowdy and nuisance behaviour
  •  Yobbish behaviour and intimidating groups taking over public spaces
  • Vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting
  • People dealing and buying drugs on the street
  • People dumping rubbish and abandoning cars
  • Begging
  • Misuse of fireworks


To help everyone manage anti social behaviour, you must pull the Community Trigger

A Community Trigger is a process which gives victims and communities the right to request a review of an ongoing anti-social behaviour or hate incident that you believe has not been adequately dealt with. It is designed to ensure that the police, district council and other relevant organisations work together to try and resolve any complaints about anti-social behaviour by talking about the problem, sharing information, and using resources to try to reach an agreeable outcome. A request to activate a Community Trigger can be made if, within the last six months:  

  • You (as an individual) have complained to the Council, Police or a Registered Housing Provider (social landlord) about three separate incidents of anti-social behaviour within your area, or 
  • Three individuals in your local community have complained separately to the Council, Police or Registered Housing Provider (social landlord) about the same incident of anti-social behaviour, or 
  • You have been a victim of a hate incident 
  • You are dissatisfied with the response from agencies.


Reporting anti-social behaviour to the police-

If you have been a victim of crime or witnessed antisocial behaviour, you should contact Essex Police on 101 for non-urgent enquiries or 999 in an emergency. Essex Police also take and investigate online reports via this link.  

When you call to report anti-social behaviour: Be Prepared.

You may go online or use the telephone to report ASB, but either way will probably be asked the following questions so have your answers ready:


  • What is being done?
  • Who is doing it?
  • When did it happen (date and time)?
  • Is this the first instance? If not, how often has it happened?


 For more information on Community Trigger for Epping Forest District Council please click here.